Messy Mamahood


May 7, 2010

Letting go


It's almost time to say good-bye to another school year. The kids are itching for summer break - swimming pools, camps, vacations. But the thing I'm thinking about is that it's another year down and only 3, 6 and 11 more years to go with each of my children, respectively. The years are fleeing. When did I get so old? And how did they grow up so fast?

It seems like only yesterday I was holding them in my arms, rocking them to sleep, listening to their first words and teaching them how to walk. Now, my high school son is driving. My 6th grade daughter is graduating to middle school. And my baby is "bridging" from Daisies to Brownies. Three different schools next year; three completely different stages of life.

Don't get me wrong - I love watching them grow and experience new things. It's just that as they gain independence, their "need" for me seems to dissipate more each day. And that's a difficult thing for a mama to take.

How do we do this as parents? How do we learn to let go a little more each year when all we want to do is hang on?

Share your thoughts in the pink "comments" link below.

No comments: