Mother's Day for a single mom can be very difficult emotionally. I've been very fortunate. The kids' day cares and schools have always been great about helping the kids make gifts or cards. But some single moms aren't as lucky. Here are some ideas to make your own Mother's Day extra-special with your children.
1. Show the kids how to make breakfast in bed. We've been doing this for years for birthdays and my kids love surprising me on Mother's Day morning.
2. Make sure they have plenty of art supplies, then leave them alone to create their masterpieces. Or go to a ceramics class together and make it a memorable project.
3. If the kids are old enough, let them help you around the house to earn money. My kids love having their own money to spend on gifts for special holidays. I then take them to the store of their choice and ask the sales associate to help them while I wait outside.
4. Get together with another single mom and swap kids for an afternoon to take them shopping for their respective mom.
5. Go to the park for a picnic and games. Let the kids pack the picnic basket.
If you're not a single mom, but know one, reach out to her and her kids on this special day. Invite the family to join yours for lunch or help the kids with one of the suggestions above. Just knowing someone remembered her will make her feel special and less alone.
Most of all, if you're a solo mama, remember that our greatest gift is that of our beautiful children and the love we share with them every day.