Messy Mamahood


May 2, 2010

Silence, please!


Honestly, I am so tired of listening to my three kids bicker, argue, fight, whatever you want to call it. It's exhausting. And it's constant. Today it was over what movie to see. "No, I'm not going to see that one!" "That one looks stupid." "Boring!" I finally made the decision myself and two of them had to suck it up and watch something they weren't thrilled about seeing. They both liked it. Imagine that.

But seriously, did God take them aside before they came to Earth and say, "Okay, now the game plan is you're to argue as much as possible and irritate your mother to the point that she'd see the nuthouse as a welcome vacation." I just don't get it. Don't they get tired of hearing themselves? It reminds me of growing up - listening to my parents' constantly at each other. Always trying to prove to the other that they're right. The thing is, after listening to my kids carry on, I don't really care who's right. I just want them to shut up! There, I said it. And I know I'm not the only mother who feels this way.

Taege and Keile are sitting behind me on the sofa right now arguing over their Nintendo games. Are you kidding me? "Stop!" Keile bellows over and over. Taege keeps irritating her. I swear they actually like to see me ticked off. "Look what he did!" "Go downstairs!" "Stop!" "You go upstairs!" "Taege! Stop!" "Mind your own business!" "Why don't you grow up?" "Stop touching me!" "Move your foot!" "Stop it!" This is the exact conversation I've just listened to. I didn't even bother to turn around and see what the issue was because it's never over anything remotely worthwhile. And I'm so tired of trying to break it up that I just let it play itself out most of the time, unless it escalates physically. Maybe if I act like it doesn't bother me, they'll just quit. A girl can dream, can't she?

The only thing better than listening to this is hearing all three of them harp at each other. A few of my older friends have told me to cherish this time because once you reach the empty nest, the silence nearly kills you. At this point, I'll take my chances. :0)

No comments: